sábado, mayo 09, 2009

Twitter as an RSS Reader

Vìa Go2Web2

 
 

Enviado por luishernando a través de Google Reader:

 
 

vía GO2WEB20 Blog de Orli Yakuel el 6/05/09

Steve Gillmore announced the death of RSS, yesterday in a very informative post at the Techcrunch IT Blog.

Being a blogger that's seeking the hottest tech news and needs to be on top of everything constantly, I tend to agree with most of Steve's post. Except for the fact that I don't think RSS is dead at all, I think RSS readers are not well-known by those who get used to getting updates delivered by their friends instead of by their favorite reader. I actually wrote a post about the same issue a year ago, where I explained why I'm wasn't using my RSS reader(s) as much as before. A year later, I can honestly tell you that now I don't even open my RSS reader anymore at all.

I'm sure some of you will disagree, probably because you used to reading your RSS reader once a day or so. But if you use Facebook or Twitter or any of those services that stream you & your friend's daily updates, you must've felt a change in the way you are reading & tracking content over the web.

It's also about what really interests you. If you've followed people that post stuff you care enough to read about, then you don't really need to build your RSS reader, the content will eventually show up in your main Twitter page. In most cases, this will be faster than anything else, and the best part is that the content is filtered inherently by your friends, and because good stuff is always retweeted over and over again, you can't really miss it.

But what about all the noise that has no relation to posts and stuff that you actually want to read? Well, from my experience, I just learned to deal with it. Sometimes, I ignore things that I don't care about yet show up in my twitterstream, and sometimes, I track a conversation just because someone else replies. Bottom line, you can't have a live conversation from within your RSS reader. Today, with Twitter, you see links posted by your friends and can immediately create a discussion around it. The web was never as accessible as it is today.

One last thing, in my opinion the biggest change over the last year, is that people are tracking topics instead of sites. From this perspective, Twitter still look & feel like RSS Reader, but really, you follow updates from your chosen topics, which can be a person, a brand or anything you care about. Screenshot of my twitter vision:
2009-05-06_164202

 
 

Cosas que puedes hacer desde aquí:

 
 

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario

Gracias! ¿Qué sería de la red sin tu opinion? Algo muy aburrido! :D